NSW Marriage Office

Affordable Weddings

Are you looking at having a NSW government registry office wedding?

A registry office marriage ceremony is a relaxed, no fuss, simple legal wedding for those who prefer a low-key wedding.  Two witnesses are required by law, and can be anyone over the age of 18.

We provide a cheap & cheerful option for registry weddings in Newcastle, Tamworth and the Hunter Valley.


Wedding Fees

Everything you need to make your marriage official is included in all our packages.  Lodgement of your Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) all legal preparation, your celebrant, a legal marriage ceremony, submission of documents and registration of your marriage.


Registry weddings are available at our Newcastle office from $475. 


For full details of our registry office wedding ceremonies, enquire now.


Who Can Get Married

 To get married in NSW you must:

  • not be married to someone else
  • not be marrying a parent, grandparent, child, grandchild or sibling (brother or sister)
  • be at least 18 years of age, unless a person aged between 16 and 18 years of age has court approval to marry
  • understand what marriage means and freely consent to marrying
  • at least 1 month before the date you plan to marry (but not more than 18 months), lodge a Notice of Intended Marriage with an authorised celebrant or minister
  • include words required by law in the ceremony and be married by a registered marriage celebrant or minister of religion
  • provide an original birth certificate or passport in English, or an official translation of the document from another language.

If either person has been previously married you must provide:

Foreign language certificates must be officially translated into English.

Changing Your Name


If you marry in Australia you can take the surname of your husband or wife without formally changing your name.

If you want to formally change your name you can usually change identity documents such as your driver's licence and passport to your married surname by providing a copy of your standard marriage certificate.

Marriages In Other Countries

Recognition of overseas marriages

If you're going overseas to get married, you must work within the legal systems of Australia and the country you're getting married in.

If you marry in a legal ceremony in another country, you don't need to register your marriage in Australia as it will have been registered in that country.

Overseas marriages are generally recognised in Australia if the marriage is recognised by the country where it took place and they don't break the Australian Marriage Act.


If you're planning to marry in another country:

  • confirm any legal requirements by contacting the local representative for that country through the embassy or consulate
  • get a marriage certificate and any other supporting documents after you marry and before you leave that country as it can be very difficult to access these documents once you're back in Australia.


The NSW Marriage Office is located in Newcastle West. 

We can also come to your location in the Newcastle area.  It can be your home, a park or garden, restaurant or beach.  As long as it’s within the city of Newcastle we should be able to come to you.  Please check in with us prior to making a booking if you would like to marry at your location.

The NSW Marriage Office also travels to regional areas including Tamworth and the Hunter Valley Vineyards.

Wedding Options

We offer a variety of wedding options at the NSW Marriage Office.  The marriage options offered are typically for couples who would simply like to fulfil the legal requirements to be married by simply signing the marriage register, or having a simple elopement or registry style wedding ceremony.

The Marriage Office services couples who are requesting a Fiancé Visa Letter for their Prospective Marriage Visa, or couples who require their marriage to be registered in Australia following a ceremony overseas.

If you want to be married in less than one month we can help you with the Shortening of Time application, which speeds up the legal process for you.